- Consider the medical needs of anyone you'll be caring for during an emergency.
- Make a list of the supplies you'll need to have on hand for life safety.
- Fix hazards in and around your home; look for fire hazards, secure large shelves to the wall, use earthquake putty to secure smaller items, install smoke detectors or change batteries if necessary, etc.
Training - Train or Be Trained
- Take CPR/First Aid training.
- Take a gardening course from a friend, neighbor or family member, or through OSU Extension Services. There are many resources available online, as well.
Supplies - Gather or Purchase
- Add first aid supplies to your kit based on the needs of those you will be caring for. Add general first aid items after specific items are acquired. Think of gauze like water: you can never have too much!
- Don't forget prescriptions, extra glasses or contacts, saline solution and similar items.
- Add three more days worth of water and food.